I know that the easy snack has been done many times before but when I go to work I need to find the easy healthy snack and a quick snack when on the go. For the past 10 years of my life I have tried to stay healthy and have found a couple of key things that have stayed with me since the beginning. Everyone is on the run these days time is valuable. I had put on weight prior to having kids from basically just pure laziness and decided I wasn’t happy with how I felt and looked so decided to do something about it. Overall I lost 8 kilos (which is seriously like carrying 4 x 2L milk cartons, it’s a lot!) and felt great. I started running, which to be honest I was never an exercise lover but ended up really enjoying it. I feel stronger and healthier although don’t worry my most loved food is nachos. If they are on a menu I can’t move past it. I must have them. I love food and always will but just learnt to eat better and cleaner so when I did indulge it feels good and I have learnt to just generally cut back my meals. I didn’t realise that you don’t actually need a huge pile of food for lunch, it is just about eating smarter. So this is my easy snack list, the easy snacks that don’t make it hard when you are on the go and really great at keeping you fuller for longer:
- Fresh Corp Corn Kernels. These things are awesome, they are like eating crunchy cooked corn that is flavoured with taco powder. They are low in fat and you only need a handful. Most health stores have them but beware they are very crunchy!!
- Tamari Almonds. These are great. You can buy them from the health section at Woolworths and any health food store. Best part of about these is you can actually make them yourself. It is just almonds mixed with Tamari and a bit of sugar and baked in the oven. Full of flavour and healthy!
- Fruit. You can’t go past good old fruit. Bananas, apples and strawberries are my go to. But fruit is fruit and great for you.
- Mountain Rye Wraps. These are great. Really good for lunch instead of bread, very low in calories and you can fill with heaps of yummy salad or vegetables and why not splurge on a small amount of yummy mayo!
- Boiled Eggs. You can’t go past a boiled egg for protein, something healthy and keeping you fuller for longer. If you aren’t a big egg person I spread a bit of mayo, curry powder, salt and pepper on them and they taste yummy!
- Can of Tuna. These days you can get so many flavours in tuna so if you are like me and need a little something to add to the flavour of tuna, try the Mild Curry version or the Tuna with Chilli by John West who has at least 6 different flavoured tunas.
- Rice Cakes. Now days there are lots of variations on the original rice cake but beware of thesalt that is added into them. I just go for the plain ones and these are great with a spread of cottage cheese and some tomato or just a good old spread of a bit of butter and some Promite. Yummmmmo!