Sometimes a long flight, a long holiday and a tight budget mean that the holiday we can have has to be a short getaway with kids. The great thing about NSW is there are some lovely spots to pick not far out of Sydney that is also great short getaways with kids. You don’t have to travel far to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city and get the kids out into some fresh area and space. Here are some top suggestions for 5 short getaways with kids:
- Boomerang Beach, North Coast. This sleepy, peaceful little town is only a short 3 hour trip from Sydney. It is a lovely relaxed atmosphere surrounded by several beautiful beaches as well as beautiful bushland. The fantastic Mobys Resort is an absolute must if you are here with kids. This amazing kid friendly resort has everything you need including swimming pool and spa, restaurant and bar (who also do a fantastic takeaway coffee), tennis courts, a driveway that doubles up as a bike and scooter track and several small play areas dotted around the large village. The kids live in the pool, the restaurant is fantastic value and quality and the staff are wonderful. Each little bungalow is self-contained. This place is a fantastic place to relax, spend time by the pool or walk 2 minutes to the beach.
- Berry, South Coast. Berry is a fabulous little town only 2 1/2 hours out of Sydney. Berry itself has a lovely selection of boutique homeware shops, lovely cafes and an array of accommodation in town and up into the hills with spectacular views of the escarpments. It is the best of both worlds being in the country but yet 25 minutes away is the beach if you need to get the kids into the sand. There is a huge array of accommodation to choose from on the Stayz website, but a favourite is Away @ Berry which is a lovely self-contained house up on the hill which is fantastic to fit 2 families. It is a great taste of country living.
- Another favourite short getaway that just happens to be down south is Culburra Beach. Only a short 3 hour drive from Sydney the quaint area of Culburra Beach means peace and quiet and often the beach to yourself. There are loads of self-contained options to choose from as well as pet-friendly accommodation. Culburra Beach is pet-friendly at certain times of the day so head along and bring the dog too! Check out the Stayz website for a great range of affordable options in the area and many within a very short walk to the beach.
- Copacobana/Central Coast. If you really need a break away with the kids but it needs to be short and sweet then the Central Coast is perfect. A quick zoom up the freeway for only 1 hour will see you away from the city and on the beaches where life goes at a slower pace which is how it should be. The beaches are right at your door, the big shops are only a 15 minute drive and there are some lovely places to stay within any budget. Air BnB has a huge array of accommodation options for families and who can’t resits having a quick getaway up the coast. Copacabana is renowned for its great surfing and it has some lovely markets on the 3rd Sunday of every month. You can also explore the beautiful Bouddi National Park as well.
- And for a bit of country living for a short getaway with kids nothing else beats Mudgee. The town has so much to offer from bike riding, museums, historical sites and loads of surrounding towns to explore as well. There is an array of accommodation from 5 star, to glamping, boutique hotels and guesthouses. It makes for the perfect country break where the kids can explore what a rural setting has to offer. The best place to check out the sites and accommodation is the Visit Mudgee website which showcases everything the town has to offer.
Have you explored what NSW has to offer? Have you found some other short getaways with kids that suit any family budget? Let me know because I would love to hear of some other fabulous destinations.
** Photos courtesy of Mobys Beach Retreat,