Animals are a huge part of many people’s lives and there are some top reasons why dogs are good for kids. Research does need to be done into what breed would best suit you and your family as well the lifestyle that you have but they can give an enormous amount of happiness to the family unit.
Did you know that having a pet in the family home can have social, psychological and health benefits?
The list for owning a family animal could be extensive but these are some of the key points that we found out:
- Overall there are huge health benefits to owning a pet. There have been studies that show that owning a pet can reduce stress and anxiety in both children and adults. Having a companion and friend that doesn’t tell your secrets and likes to cuddle up with you or play with you. Cuddling is great at reducing stress and anxiety particularly if they are willing to cuddle as much as possible and I for one never turn down a cuddle
- Animals can be great for children’s development. Firstly they can see that animals have to be looked after so it can increase their level of responsibility, showing empathy and compassion for something and can help with communication both in teaching an animal commands as well as open conversation. Many studies show that children feel more at ease talking to animals.
- Animals can also get you and your family out of the house. There are so many parks now that animals are allowed to go or simply getting out and taking it for a walk, if it is the walking variety that they believe it can help children get outdoors more and be more active.
- There have been studies that have shown that children with Autism have responded well to pets. Also, children who may have had trauma or family issues have connected with a pet and it has become a fantastic therapy aid for a child.
- I also read on a few different websites that children in homes with animals within the first few years of life can be less prone to asthma and other health-related issues. This has had mixed reviews based on research done with dogs, cats, and birds but they do believe that children with dogs or cats are less likely to develop asthma or allergies. This is still being researched but centres such as the National Centre for Health Research has done studies showing that overall pet owners have fewer doctor visits than people who didn’t have pets.
- Dogs provide a good amount of responsibility to children. They become aware of having to care for another being other than themselves. Dogs are not able to fend for themselves so it is vital they are fed, kept warm and given water and love. Many children respond well to this level of responsibility and it helps with implementing routine and assigning tasks to children to show them their impact on the family and the people and animals that live in the house. Everyone plays a role in the household.
- As animals need a lot of attention and tender loving care and dogs in particular love to be part of the family, it can show children empathy and tenderness. They can understand that if they hurt the animal it will yelp, they can learn when they are too rough. Because they are a large part of the family they can also be a huge source of companionship. Whether you have one or five children dogs make wonderful friends and really do want to be part of the family unit.
Obviously, the responsibility of having a dog or a pet is huge and is a decision that should not be taken lightly. There are many factors that a family should consider before they embark on having an animal that will be around for 10 years and hopefully beyond. There are also many costs associated with having a family pet that also needs to be considered.